Quite a lot of great quality movies seen this last week of 2006:
The Business: an english title looking like The Godfather with british spice from the 80’s. The off-voice naration might be annoying sometimes, and some plot are really easy, but the movie is still enjoyable.
Broken Flowers: a great Bill Murray road trip across US, with a funny jamaican neighbor trying to help him in a quest for his old girlfriends. The end of the movie is really disappointing. Great soundtrack too, don’t forget to download it!
De battre mon coeur s’est arrété: Seen twice this year, enjoyed twice, great french movie to be seen again
Habana Blues: On the latino movie trip from Christine, here is the first catch. Some great mood to start with, but not really convincing after the middle of the movie as people are starting to be predictable (and so the end of the movie).
Plan long battery charge on all your leectronic equipments.
Quiet environnement really work firendly. Avoid compartiment seats, not table on front seat provided (unless you prefer to work on your laptops).
Not really work-friendly, and because most of flights are shorts (2-3 hours max. in Europe), the best is to enjoy the show by the ‘hublots’.
Visiting family and friends
Prepare yourself to have a double-day. Start working before everybody wake up, and have a few hours working session when others go to bed.
Visiting working people can be great to keep working following your friends working scheme (and sometimes try new kind of working hours).
Few steps to make it work
- Be sure about internet connection, ask your friend to get information about how it’ll work;
- Find a confortable place where to put your computer;
- Make your home network available for SVN commiting, and check VPN access.
Can be really expensive if not really well planned, as everything else.
- single: 2.1â‚¬
- daily: 5.8â‚¬
- weekly: 25â‚¬
They are not working everywhere (only shops), it’s better to have cash in the wallet all the time.
Beers and eating-out are really cheap.
At disco, when you take a bottle drink, they’ll give you a token. Bring it back with the empty bottle to get your deposit back.
Chaos Computer Club is organizing one of these great hacking congress just kilometers away from my holiday paradise. The temptation to spend a wandering day there has reached a peak last night, but I’ll have a better time staying with Chris and getting numeric feedbacks (blogs, podcasts, …) from the show.
Link to event info.
If you know that you don’t know, you will know,
If you don’t know that you know, you will never know…
A Christmas gift for Florent, a really addictive drug for real gamers: stupid, simple and time wasters web games.
- Chaos Theory: A simple chain reaction game. 3 clicks to finish the game;
- iSketch: Dessinez c’est gagnÃ© on the web, with french room to play with correct vocabulary;
- Bendito machine: Not a game, just a super great animation;
- zWok!: Excellent worms-like online with multiplayer gamplay and profile to upgrade. Days to waste here;
- Nest of Moai: Just for fun. First level is a bit hard, but humour is present in the rest of the game;
- Line Rider: Draw a line to make your slider ride his ludge. No goals, create your own, like « the biggest just ever » or « as many loops as possible« .
There is another game with a kind of spaceship drilling earth to get metal, going back to surface to buy fuel and vaious upgrade. If someone can find it for me, I’ll be grateful.
It’s a bit the opposite of ‘Humanity saves time‘ philosophy, but hey, we all love games.
Here is a list to be completed until 31st of December 2006.
- Meeting again Christine after not seeing her for 2 years
- Trip to Tenerife for Hifi workgroup
- Having a half-hour walk every morning to go to work
- Lots of picnics in Toulouse parks
- Dreaming about being late at work, and waking up as a new Freelancer
- Making cakes every week
- Learning that my brother and Sandra are married
- Discovering the powerful color of flowers on a macro-photo
- Learning how to make simple origami, and having some boxes full of them to offer
- Buying 2 20Go Ipods for my birthday, one for Joan, one for me
- Offering a Threadless 12 month club subscription to Joan
- Building my own home network under a Linksys WRT54GL routeur, and a real server (SVN, Wiki, VNC, VMWare, …). Really geeky but wanted this for years!
- Hosting Fred for a few days in Toulouse, with all the needed ‘kick your ass’ reflexions he came with
- Learning Zen with Adam Watts, and feeling dizzy or really light sometimes discovering the power of life
I believe one of the purpose of any creation if saving Humanity time, just to have more time to create new tools.
Today, I’ve discovered a tool that will save few hours of my life, just to build HTML/CSS grid layouts. Simple, elegant:
« Software is all design, not manufacturing. Once you’ve made one copy, almost no labor is needed to make a million just like it. So everything depends on the work done by one person or a small team. »